Vol 8, No 186
July 5, 1842
Mexico Captures Yucatan Navy
Today in Sports
Cowboys QB Don Meredith announces his Retirement
On this date in 1969, the last member of the original 1960 Dallas Cowboys, Don Meredith announced his retirement. In his final season with the Cowboys, Meredith led the Cowboys to their best season in history, 12-2.
It was in 1966, that Meredith led the Cowboys to their first winning season (10-3-1) and was named the NFL Player of the Year. Meredith made All-American twice while attending SMU in Dallas where he broke all of SMU's passing records.
Meredith played nine years with Dallas before retiring. He was followed at quarterback by Craig Morton and Roger Staubach.
Aviator Slats Rodgers dies at McAllen
On this date in 1956, Aviation pioneer, Floyd H Rodgers died.
At an early age "Slats" Rodgers became interested in aviation, building his own plane which he named "Old Soggy Number 1" after a sagging wing. He became the first pilot in Texas to be issued a pilot's license.
Soon, Slats became a pilot in the barnstorming circuit for exhibition flyers.
During prohibition, Slats engaged in bootlegging, which landed him six-months in jail, and the dubious distinction of being the first pilot in Texas to have his license revoked.
Mexico Flexes Power
YUCATAN, MX (1842)
During 1842, the Texas Navy, which provided the Yucatan Peninsula protection against the Mexican Navy, was no longer receiving it's $8,000 per month fee from Yucatan for Texas protection.
The Yucatan had a several large military ships of their own, including the 16 gun Yucateco. The Texas Naval commander Edwin W Moore, warned Yucatan to keep their ships at the ready, as he departed the area earlier in the year. But Yucatan didn't listen, lowering their sails, and removing their masts.
During the night of July 5, 1842, a band of 57 Mexican officers captured the Yucteco and renamed it the Mexicano. Six weeks later, Mexico used the ship to capture several other Yucatan ship, and quickly Mexico had total Naval superiority over the Yucatan.
At the same time, Mexico purchased two highly advanced side-wheel steamers, armed with powerful guns that were much more powerful than any in the Texas Navy. These ships were held up from delivery until winter 1842, by a bit of timely diplomacy on the part of the British.
Soon after delivery, both Mexican and Texas Naval vessels were fitted with the new French designed Paixhan shells, that exploded inside an enemy ship, rather than merely driving holes into a ship. The U.S. and Britain were both closely monitoring the escalating war to study the effectiveness of this new type of shell.
Houston back in Texas following treatment in N O
SAN AUGUSTINE (1836)
Sam Houston arrived in San Augustine on this date, from a trip to New Orleans where he received medical treatment for injuries incurred at San Jacinto.
While in New Orleans Houston was greeted by cheering crowds. But hearing that the new government of Texas was nearing collapse, Houston left New Orleans after only four weeks of treatment, arriving in San Augustine, Texas on this date in 1836.
Congress extends Eastern Boundary by Feet
WASHINGTON DC (1848)
On this date in 1848, three years after Texas joined the union, the United States Congress settled a dispute between Texas and Louisiana, by extending the eastern boundary of Texas from the western bank to the middle of the Sabine River.
H Baldwin Rice becomes new Mayor of Houston
On this date in 1905, H Baldwin Rice became major of Houston.
Mission Tejas established in East Texas
On this date in 1716, mission Nuestro Padre San Francisco de los Tejas was established near Alto, but abandoned three years later because of the Spanish-French conflict.
In 1690, the previous mission in the area, San Francisco de los Tejas, was established, but lasted only a few years. Disease and drought led the local Indians to drive the Spanish Priests out of the area. The priests burned the mission and fled in 1693.
This new mission, Nuestro Padre San Francisco de los Tejas, lasted only three years. Another mission was established in 1721 along the Neches river not far away. The mission was relocated to the Colorado river in 1730, and then in 1731 to its present location in San Antonio with a new name, San Francisco de la Espada.