Texas Landmarks and Legacies - Today in Texas History
Vol 8, No 188 July 6, 1944 Thursday Evening
Camp Hood Soldier refuses Back of the Bus
King of the Cowboys, Roy Rogers dies at 87
APPLE VALLEY CA Click Here to follow "Roy Rogers" back in Time  (1998)  Click Here to follow "Roy Rogers" forward in Time  On this date in 1998, the King of the Cowboys, Roy Rogers died at his California Ranch in Apple Valley, California.
   In the 1930s Roy moved to Hollywood, and began a singing career that led him to the Sons of the Pioneers. Together in the 1940s, the group appeared in several movies, one in which Roy met his future wife Dale Evans (born in Uvalde in 1912). In 1947, the two got married and launched an entertainment empire with movies, a mega-hit television show, recordings, and personal appearances.
   Along with their horses Trigger and Buttercup, their German Shepherd, Bullet, their side kick Pat Brady and his jeep Nellybelle, The Roy Rogers Show became a classic with kids. Each of the 100 episodes of his hit show, had Roy saving the day, singing a song or two, then joining with Dale Evans at the conclusion singing "Happy Trails to You".
   Til we meet again, Roy ...
See "Roy Rogers" Page 1D

Born This Date
George W Bush (No. 43) born in New Haven
NEW HAVEN CT   (1946)    On this date in 1946, George W Bush, Governor of Texas, President of the United States, and once co-owner of the Texas Rangers, was born in New Haven Connecticut to future President George H W Bush and Barbara.    More about "George W Bush on the Web

Jackie Robinson
FORT HOOD  (1944)Click Here to follow "Jackie Robinson" forward in Time  Eleven years before Rosa Parks was arrested for refusing to sit in the back of a Montgomery Alabama bus in the segregated south, none other than Lieutenant Jackie Robinson risked a court martial making a similar stand at Fort Hood on this date in 1944.
   Robinson received his commission in 1943 at Fort Riley Kansas, and was soon made the acting morale officer for a black company. But the biggest problem with morale in those days were the Jim Crow laws, which prevented blacks from equal participation in everything from sports to rest rooms.
   Just two weeks prior to the incident at Fort Hood (Camp Hood at the time), a North Carolina bus driver shot and killed a black man who refused to move to the back of the bus. The driver of the bus was not charged. In response, the Army began providing its own non-segregated military buses in installations throughout the South, including Camp Hood.
   At the time Jackie Robinson boarded the army bus at Camp Hood to take him to a hospital 30 miles away, integration was the official policy of the US Army. Under the new Army policy, Robinson could set anywhere he wished on the bus, and did just that for his trip to the hospital.
   When Robinson left the hospital where his ankle needed attention, however, he was picked up in a jeep and brought back to the post. Robinson was charged with several violations related to the incident, but his commanding officer refused to sign the court martial orders. Robinson was hastily transferred to another unit where that commander had no such hesitation, and Robinson was court martialed. After only 4 hours, Robinson was fully acquitted.
   Upon leaving the army later in 1944, Jackie Robinson joined the Negro League of baseball, and the following season became the first man to break baseball's long standing "color barrier". Had he not been acquitted, Robinson would never have been allowed into professional baseball, because the political climate of post World War II, would simply not allow a man regardless of color to play professional sports, if he had been dishonorably discharged during the war.
More of "Jackie Robinson" on the Web
Business Desk
The Dallas World Trade Center opens
DALLAS   (1974)    On this date in 1974, the Dallas World Trade Center Opened.

Education Desk
The Daily Texan chartered at UT
AUSTIN   (1921) Click Here to follow "Univ of Texas" forward in Time  On this date in 1921, Texas Student Publications, Inc was chartered to publish the University of Texas' student newspaper, The Daily Texan.
   Fifty years later, on July 6, 1951, the charter expired, and the Daily Texan officially became the property of the University of Texas at Austin.